5 Things Motherhood Has Taught Me That Nobody Prepared Me For


Motherhood is one of those journeys you can read a thousand books about, listen to advice from experienced mothers, and still discover something new every single day.

Before becoming a mother, I thought I understood what motherhood meant. Now, I laugh when I remember how confident I was. 

Here are five things motherhood has taught me that nobody really prepared me for.

1. You can be tired and still keep going.

There are days when your body is begging for rest, but your children have other plans. Someone is hungry, someone needs attention, someone has misplaced something that was literally in their hands two minutes ago. 

Motherhood has taught me that I am stronger than I thought, but also that rest is important whenever I can get it.

2. Children can turn a quiet house upside down in minutes.

A clean house can remain clean for approximately five minutes when children are around. 

Toys appear everywhere, food somehow gets to places food shouldn't be, and sometimes I find myself wondering, "Who made this mess?" before remembering that I already know the answer.

3. You learn to appreciate the little things.

A hug. A funny statement. A child sleeping peacefully. Hearing "Mummy" for the hundredth time in one day—even when I was beginning to wonder if there was another word in their vocabulary.

Those little moments become precious.

4. Motherhood has taught me patience.

Let me not pretend I've mastered this one.  I'm still learning.

But children teach you to explain the same thing repeatedly, negotiate over things you never imagined you'd negotiate about, and sometimes take a deep breath before responding.

5. There is no perfect mother.

This is probably the biggest lesson.

Social media can make motherhood look perfect, beautiful homes, perfectly dressed children, organised routines and smiling family pictures.

Real motherhood isn't always like that.

Sometimes you're doing your best while tired, overwhelmed and wondering whether you're getting anything right. And that's okay.

I've realised that being a good mother isn't about being perfect. It's about loving your children, learning every day, admitting when you get things wrong and trying again.

Motherhood has changed me in many ways, and I'm still discovering the woman it is helping me become.

To all the mothers reading this: what is one thing motherhood taught you that nobody prepared you for?

Let's talk in the comments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jim Iyke opens up about his relationship with Nadia Buari and T.B Joshua

Why I took a break from music -Munachi Abii

Why I Am Backing Nigeria to Make Second Round - Mourinho